Saturday, May 21, 2011

Officer Candidate School: best of

Back in '07-08 I was the photographer for Marine Corps Officer Candidates School (OCS) in Quantico, Va. This was one of the first real challenges and opportunities that presented itself for me to grow as a photographer. At first it was very nerve-racking to go into the OCS environment, drill instructors screaming at the top of their lungs, candidates running around everywhere, pretty much everything you shoot is at a frantic pace.


I credit this experience with instilling a lot of the principles and practices that I incorporate today. Learning to maintain my cool in a panicked environment is one of many tools I took away from OCS. I remember shooting candidates during the in processing phase where the Drill Instructors are running all over the place screaming their heads off at candidates, and one of the DI's pulled me aside and said "I don't care if you stand on a candidates head just let me know before you do it". From that point on I was at ease and just had fun with the entire situation. 


Once I got into the swing of the OCS schedule I was able to do what I love most takes risks and experiment. One of my favorit pieces of advice as a photographer is get what you need then shoot for yourself. Every shoot I go into I get the photos that the requester is asking for first then go do my own thng and shoot what I want. OCS runs on a training schedule so once I shot an event the first time I knew what to expect and with 4-5 platoons in a cycle I was able to shoot and reshoot the same event, knowing the best spots the next time around.

Hope you enjoyed this post, right now I am emptying out my archive, but check back soon for new projects. Lastly in site news expect the posts to be coming through slowly for now, I am focusing my energy on new projects/ moving again and will be posting less frequently. Til next time CliQers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment